Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Guest Post: Watermelon Rind Pickles

First up on my guest "series" is Leslie of Lamberts Lately! She's momma to Emma Ramey, who is just a few weeks older than Jaqs, and she's the designer of this blog! In addition to those things, she's always coming up with yummy recipes, so I'm excited to have her share a summery one with y'all today!

*****

Hi friends!  My name is Leslie.  Among the many things I like to talk about on my blog, I occasionally post recipes that fit my weird taste.  This seemed like the perfect recipe for summer...Watermelon Rind Pickles!
 
I had heard of Watermelon Rind pickles before...maybe it's a southern thing.  I hadn't tried them, but it was worth at least seeing what I thought!
 
What I made turned out to be a sort-of-spicy, sort-of-tangy, sort-of-sweet recipe...and in a weird way, I liked it!
 
 
 
Here's the recipe!
 
Watermelon Rind Pickles
 
Ingredients
 
1/4 of a Watermelon worth of rinds, chopped into 1" pieces (a little fruit can be left on the rind)
1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 1/2 cups Water
1 tbsp Mustard Seeds
1 tsp Pepper
1/4c White Sugar
2 tbsp Salt
 
Directions
Bring everything but the rinds to a boil, stirring every couple of minutes. Once the mixture is boiling, add the rind and boil for about 5 minutes, just to soften it up a little.
 
Take off the eye and cool to room temperature.  Put in an air-tight container and refrigerate for 24 hours before eating.
 
Will keep for up to 2 weeks after making these.
 
Enjoy this awesome summer treat!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...