Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Sticky Coconut Chicken

As I've mentioned before, I am always on the look-out for new recipes, and I'm always up for a little adventure when it comes to trying new things. So, when I saw this recipe, I knew I HAD to try it! I did a couple variations, and it turned out amazing. I got rave reviews from Rob and my mom, so I'd say it's a keeper! Here it is:

Sticky Coconut Chicken
5-6 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can Coconut Milk (unsweetened)
1 (heaping) Tbsp. fresh grated ginger
1 Tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 Tsp. salt

Combine coconut milk, ginger, red pepper flakes and salt in a large bowl (or gallon-sized ziploc) and add chicken pieces into the mixture. I pierced the breasts with a knife so the marinade could really soak in. Let marinate for at least an hour...I did mine for about 3.

Heat your grill to medium/medium-high heat and grill the chicken until cooked through.

Sticky Glaze
3/4 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. soy sauce (GF for me)
1 Tsp. red pepper flakes
1 Tsp. fresh grated ginger

While the chicken is cooking, combine the glaze ingredients in a sauce pan on the stove. Bring the glaze to a boil and let it boil for several minutes until reduced and thickened. Brush on both sides of the chicken at the end of grilling. Let it grill for a minute or two after applying the glaze so it will get slightly crisp on the outside.


I served my chicken over brown rice cooked in half water and half coconut milk and sauteed veggies. The rice turned out really yummy this way...I would definitely recommend doing it like that! Drizzle some of the leftover glaze over the chicken and rice...the glaze really makes this dish!

I know "coconut" chicken sounds really strange, but it isn't in your face with coconut flavor or anything. It's slightly sweet which pairs really nicely with the spice of the red pepper flakes and ginger. Also, letting the chicken marinade for a few hours makes for really moist chicken when grilling. Hope you'll give it a try!



P.S. - The giveaway is coming SOON, so keep checking back for that!! :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...