What a month it's been! Jaqsy girl, you've rocked our world, and we couldn't love you any more! On one hand, it doesn't seem like a month could have already passed, but on the other, daddy and I feel like we've known you forever. Funny how that works, isn't it?
We're (obviously) still getting the hang of this parenting thing, but we're getting there! We question ourselves daily, but in the end, we always go with what feels right. We just want the very best for you, baby girl. I hope you'll always know that!
At one month old:
- You're a pretty good little eater! You are very enthusiastic for the first 10-15 minutes, then you start getting sleepy and I have to work at keeping you going. Talking, rubbing, diaper changes, cold washcloths...we've tried it all! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You've gained almost 3 pounds since you were born though, so I know you're probably getting enough :)
- Your sleeping has gotten much better in the last week or two...we're ALL happy about this! Your last feeding comes sometime between 10 & 10:30, then we swaddle, rock, and get you down between 11 & 11:30. You'll then sleep until 3 or 3:30 and be back down 30 minutes later until 6:30 or 7. You usually take another nap after your morning feeding until about 9. The rest of the day is hit or miss. We're still working on that! You will take at least 2-3 more naps though.
- Your fussy time is definitely in the evenings. After your 4 p.m. feeding, you're usually content to play on the floor and "talk" with your animals for awhile before the fussiness sets in. Sometimes you'll cat-nap, but it never lasts more than 20-30 minutes during this time. You'll eat again at 7 p.m., and we usually try to keep you more awake then so you'll be sleepy for bedtime. This time is almost always spent in our arms because you tend to cry a lot ;) We just haven't figured out what else to do yet. You'll also sneak a cat-nap or two in during this time.
- You are really developing a little personality! We love to listen to you while you coo at your animals on the floor. Daddy encourages you to "box" them, and you've really started to swing and bat at them. Make him so proud!
- You are beginning to enjoy bath-time a little more, thankfully! We always do your bath right before that last nighttime feeding. We only use soap every other night so we don't dry your sweet baby skin out! You HATE getting lotion afterwards. My goodness, I can't imagine that it could be so bad! Seems like it would feel pretty good, if you ask me ;)
- You take a bottle like a champ! You suck them dry every single time. We've recently started giving you a pumped bottle in the evenings to speed up the bedtime routine a bit. This allows daddy to feed you, too!
- You are definitely a paci-baby. We don't let you have it to sleep because I don't want you to wake up every time it falls out, but we do use it to calm you to sleep sometimes. You pretty much have it the whole time during your fussy period.
- You can hold your head up so well! You've been doing this since you were born, actually. It made me a little nervous at first, but you're just getting stronger every day! We'll get more serious about tummy time soon, but for right now I count you laying on me and you lifting/moving your head back and forth as tummy time. You'll also do this on your Boppy sometimes.
- You love to be on the move! In the car, riding in your stroller, swinging, and walking around in our arms seem to be some of your favorite activities.
- You REFUSE to have your arms swaddled! This has been another thing we've known since the beginning. You like to sleep with your arms straight above your head :)
- You are wearing newborn diapers, but will outgrow them very soon! You are also still wearing newborn clothes with some 0-3 month things in the mix. It just really depends on the outfit. You are definitely too long for your newborn sleepers, though! I think you're going to be a long girl!