Wednesday, September 26, 2012

savoring the moment

Unless you've been living under a rock, you know that football season is here. For a coach's wife like myself, that means I'm a single parent 95% of the time. Sure, I have the hubs' support all the time, but physically? He's basically unavailable until December. It's really, really easy to let myself get overwhelmed by this, but instead I've been making an honest effort to enjoy almost every moment with my baby girl. Everyone says it, and I know that I'll blink and Jaqs will be walking/talking/off to school/graduating/getting married/etc. I don't want to look back and think, "I should have spent less time doing ___ and more time just being with her." For a type-A personality like myself, letting go of schedules and plans isn't easy, but I've been trying to be more flexible and forgiving of myself when things don't go just right.
If baby wants to be held a lot one day? So be it.
If the house is a wreck because I was holding her? Fine.
If she wakes up twice in the middle of the night for no apparent reason? Well, uh...okay...
If I have to change both our clothes three times due to bodily, ahem, eliminations? Part of it.
If I don't put on make-up/get dressed or leave the house? It's all good.
If our "outing" consists of wandering around Target AGAIN? Success!
You see, I'm almost certain no one has ever looked back on their kids being little and said, "I should have dusted more often." I constantly remind myself how BLESSED I am to be able to spend my WHOLE day with the light of my life. Not everyone gets to say that, and I'm grateful that I can.
There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that I will miss this part of our lives, but I'm giddy thinking about all the fun years to come with Jaqs and whatever siblings she may have in the future. We're just getting started here! :)

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

What a sweet post. And so very honest. It's going to be hard for me to not have every minute planned and scheduled but I know that the time I have with Connor is short so I need to put off most other things and enjoy him to the fullest!

KLA said...

Good for you, Boykey! I know putting down the broom and actually LETTING dust collect is difficult for us Type-As. So happy that you're consciously choosing to focus on simply BEING with sweet baby Jaqs instead! xo

Jenna E said...

I love this post and totally agree. My husband has 9 months paternity, so I could see him maybe one day less a week. Kidding, but seriously lol

JennOvey said...

It is so hard sometimes to realize that you're pushing the most important things aside. It's hard to let go and just be in this busy world!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...